SYSA sponsors an in-house Referee In Training (Ref-IT) program for youth referees that are playing at the U13, U14, and U15 levels. This program is designed as a stepping stone for soccer players interested in eventually becoming USSF certified referees. This program offers them an introduction to refereeing by refereeing SYSA’s younger U6 and U7 age 4v4 matches on Saturdays during SYSA’s Spring and Fall seasons.
Many referees take the 18 hours of formal USSF sponsored referee training only to discover that refereeing is not for them or they do not have the time to referee as they had hoped. The Ref-IT program provides a taste of what refereeing is all about prior to obtaining formal certification. If the Ref-IT referee is then interested, he/she may pursue formal USSF referee certification to obtain a Grade 8 or 9 badge which then enables them to referee games at the U8 level and above for any soccer club.
Referees participating in the Referee In Training program are compensated for the games they work according to the SYSA payment schedule for U6 and U7 games.
NEW Ref-IT Eligibility Requirements:
1. You must attend the classroom session noted above on Wednesday, August 28
2. You must attend a field training session one evening the week of September 2
3. You must be on an SYSA U13 or U14 Rec or Travel team this Fall 2013
4. You must be willing to referee U6 and U7 games on Saturdays
5. You must purchase an official Referee Uniform prior to your first
6. You must be able to monitor email regularly and have online computer
access to sign up for games
If you meet the above eligibility requirements and have not been a Ref-IT
before, you are invited to participate in SYSA’s ’junior’ referee
program. The classroom training is free, and will provide all information
needed including uniform purchase options. Please send an email if you are interested in attending so we can prepare the paperwork.